Home Forums Surfcoastwombat’s MSA Forum MSA and Lyme Disease

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kimberley

Sorry if this question is not posted in the right place?
    Just wonder if there is any study/info in Australia regarding the link between MSA and Lyme-Disease? Working with a friend/patient here in California who has MSA after Lyme and certain it is connected. Only seen a couple studies on the web but wonder what any of you have seen/heard experienced in AUS?
    Thanks so much for your time.

John Cummings

I’m not aware of any MSA – Lyme disease studies here in Australia – but that doesn’t mean there haven’t been any. Maybe some of the Australian contributors may have some idea.

Jim P

Lyme disease is not officially recognised as being endemic in Australia – this does not mean that it does not exist here, but the medical community foes not believe it to be so. As far as I am aware, everyone with recognised Lyme disease caught it outside Australia. However, there is a group of people with “Lyme like” symptoms who say that they have Lyme disease caught in Australia but the existence of the disease in these people is controversial. Because multiple system atrophy is only a rare complication of Lyme disease, and there are few cases of Lyme disease in Australia, I would be surprised if there were any patients with Lyme-related MSA in Australia.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.