Home Forums Surfcoastwombat’s MSA Forum How can I help?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Bev garo

My 54 year old stepson has MSA of the cerebellum. He has lived in a care centre for 3 years and was rushed to the hospital last week. He was vomiting ..some blood.. And thought to have swallowed something that stuck in his throat. He is intubated and it has been suggested he have a tracheotomy. He is very scared and wishes to be resuscitated if his heart stops. He is very weak and cannot cough up mucus from his lungs….hence the breathing tube. Despite being unable to do anything but think, he is desparate to live another day. He is also reluctant to have more medical procedures.
    His dad is 83 years old and bears all this stoically. How can I help?
    May God bless all who have been through this.
    Bev

Vera James

Bev ,
    Some patients have had trachs. My husband Fred had the stridor breathing early in his diagnose and a trach may of helped , but he wouldn’t agree with one. Unlike your stepson, Fred didn’t want to be resuscitated if his heart had stop.
    Have they done a swallowing test to see if a feeding tube is needed? These test show how they are swallowing and if a feeding tube is needed or what type of food is the best for them to have ( thickner etc). If they haven’t done one, I would suggest asking his doctor about having one done.
    My husband also had a hard time coughing up mucus. Some use a suction machine for the mucus that sits in the mouth & throat . I’ve heard that some patient use mucinex to help with break the mucus. This is something to speak with a doctor about.
    You may want to ask if they can show you how to do chest percussion. This is a lightly tap on the chest and back. The tapping loosens the mucus in the lungs and may help him to get the mucus up.
    These are just a few things that may help.
    Vera

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.