Home Forums Surfcoastwombat’s MSA Forum MSA – coughing, swallowing and balance

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Barbara Carne

My husband 73 has MSA-C. He used to cough about 24 times a day. We went to a speech pathologist and she suggested that he chew chewing gum as his was coughing most of the time after swallowing saliva. Now he is only coughing about 4 times a day. Great relief .Also he has balance issues .A physio therapist has given him several exercises which has been of great benefit as well. I hope this gives some people ideas to whom to go to get some assistance. We have to keep looking for ideas to assist.

Carole

Hi Barbara,
    Just read your message about your 73 year old husband who has MSA-C, is coughing and has balance issues. My husband is 71 and has similar problems. I would have liked to have more details about the exercises that he does for his balance. Could you contact me via email? Thanks. Carole

Barbara Carne

Hi Carole, We went to a physio that deals with patients MSA balance issues.
    He walks down a hallway straight line, turning head from side to side looking at walls Sits in a chair and turns his head from side to side but keeping his eyes on the same spot on the wall. Walks down the hallway one foot in front of the other ,have the wall near buy as this is a hard one to do for him, needs to have wall near by to slide hand along when gets overbalanced. Standing still near support has one foot right in front of other, heel to toe of other foot. Daily walking very important as well. My advise would be for your husband be assessed by a physio first. This has helped my hubby as he is walking far more confidently during the day. At night is another matter.

Barbara Carne

Stepping exercise for balance .Stand at step one leg up to step then down ,do other leg continue.Over time you see balance improving with my hubby.

Lisa

The balance issues being addressed by these exercises are related to vertigo caused by deterioration of some cranial nerves. These exercises are strengthening the muscles which move the eye balls to prevent nystagmus.

Exercises which help with cerebellar balance issues are about building up the muscles of the inner core, the abdominal muscles, the plevic floor muscles , the muscles in the buttocks and the inner and outer upper thighs.

I am 49 years of age with Multiple System Atrophy (cerebellar type). Former othopaedic trained nurse.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.