Home Forums Surfcoastwombat’s MSA Forum Is MSA hereditary?

• This topic has 4 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 10 years ago by David.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    David

My father passed away on April 2 this year(age 79) due to MSA complications. I have been disabled since April 2013 with an undiagnosed disease. As I learn more I believe I may have MSA. The symptoms I have had include trouble walking,, a urinary problem, ED, constant pain (especially legs/feet and back), balance problem and trouble sleeping. Just went to a neurologist who ruled out ALS and MD. I plan on asking him about MSA on my next visit. I will look into the treatments mentioned above. Any evidence that MSA is hereditary?
    After being a fit athlete for years, an airline pilot and father to two young sons all I can say is MSA is a very cruel disese. Thanks for listening from Arizona, USA.

Surfcoastwombat

David

It’s not for me to say but my understanding is that MSA is still NOT thought
    to be hereditary. And you are doing the right thing by seeing a neurologist
    – they are the only people who can advise. Very few will say a patient has
    MSA for certain – Patricia’s neurologist said he was very sure that she had
    the SND form MSA but he said that only an autopsy would prove it – which it
    did.

But if your neurologist is of the opinion that you don’t have MSA, ask him
    to investigate Lumbar Canal Stenosis. I suffer from this ailment and have
    many of your symptoms.

Also – you say you were an airline pilot which means spending hours sitting
    in a less than desirable seat – not good for our backs. I have a friend
    here where I live who is a retired airline pilot and he has terrible back
    and legs/feet problems which he attributes to his having been a pilot.

Take care
    JC

John Ellis

MSA is not hereditary except those strains from Japan. Symptoms include ataxia prolems (gate), NOH, balance and coordination (Parkinson like symptoms). Cerebellar problems which cause shut down or changes in the bladder, stomach and bowels), such disease or symptoms of gastroparesis, turbid colon, constant constipation and more. Most MSA patients have no problem with cognitive skills and in fact even until the end the patient is fully aware of what is happening, however they have little control. I was diagnosed in May of 2011 and I am still walking some and have stomach, bowel problems, constant constipation (enema’s) weekly and problems now with movement or arms and legs like joints are painfull. GP says joint problems is due to atrophy of tendons and muscles causing looseness in joints.

Cindi Brannon

Hi David, most folks say that MSA is not hereditary but it may be. My husband passed away 01-09 of MSA-C and while we were trying to get a dx his older brother was having the same symptoms. Today he is having all of the symptoms and they dx him with ataxia and low blood pressure. He is a retired fireman and his children believe he has MSA but his new wife says no that it is just ataxia. Uh, Duh… What do you all think?

Pam Bower

Hi Cindy, Can you contact me about ataxia please. I can direct you to lots of resources if you need them. pbower@accesscable.net http://www.facebook.com/pam.bower

Mark

David, very sorry to hear about your loss, I lost my dad in 2013 due to a horrible illness. It sounds like we may be close to the same age, our symptoms are similar and I too am undiagnosed as of yet. I’m in the process of applying for disability after spending 20+ years as a broker.

You’re always welcome to contact me via email philmaxbasin@gmail.com Also wanted to send my best to you and your family, hang in there my friend.

Louise

Have you looked into Lyme Disease?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.