Home Forums Surfcoastwombat’s MSA Forum Has anyone got any information or suspicions, regarding research into certain occupations, in relation to developing MSA?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Eileen Fleming

Hi

I wonder if there is someone out there who can help me…? Does anyone have any information to the cause of MSA? My mother in law has been diagnosed with Parkinson’s, but after living with her for a week, her symptoms are too far advanced and I am convinced she has MSA. She worked in Cotton mill from the age of 15 as a weaver. The cotton was from India, where they treated the fields with Dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane, (DDT). I know they’re has been links with pesticides and neurological illness’s. My mother in law’s sister worked in the cotton mill also, and she has been diagnosed with dementia.

Has anyone got any information or suspicions, regarding research into certain occupations, in relation to developing MSA?

I feel there must be a reason why MSA isn’t more widely recognised, and researched.

Thanks for your help.

Eileen

Vera James

Eileen,

As of now they still don’t understand the cause of MSA. From what I have seen on polls that have been taken with patients on the different forums like the Yahoo group. Not all patients seem to have the same thing in common regarding certain occupations, childhood illness or head traumas etc. So as it seems the cause maybe more then just one thing or is different depending on the patient.

MSA is still a rather young illness as only being named Shy-drager in 1960 by Dr’s Shy & Drager. In 1987 there were only 4 doctors that seemed to be interested in MSA, as of 2011 there are now over 198 doctors that are.

Before 1987 there had only been 5 articles published on MSA, between 1987 and 2011 there has been over 3127 articles published on MSA. So as it seems it is not widely recognized, it is becoming more and more.

When my husband was alive and living with MSA in 1998 I can only think of one trial that was going on for MSA. In the last year or so I have seen 3 just in medications and more and more funds are going towards MSA research.

MSA has kept it’s head in the sand, but hopefully it will give more of a view of what it is.

Vera

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.