Home Forums Surfcoastwombat’s MSA Forum I need help

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • #1178
    Marilyn de Pano

    Where is Bethlehem Hospital?

    My 75 year old husband has MSA. He is now unable to talk and seems to get weaker each day. Since I have Parkinson’s Disease, I had to hire a caregiver to help me take care of him. I am so sad to see him deteriorate before my eyes. He does not complain, but just sits on his recliner and watches TV all day. His swallowing is now being affected – so I give him thickened liquids. However, he is still able to eat soft foods. I would like to know if I should seek another opinion about his illness. Maybe it is denial on my part, but I would like to know where I can take him for further treatment and care. I don’t want to give up. I am slowly losing my balance – however, I take three pills/3 times a day = levadopa/carbidopa, reprolenol, and amantadine for my PD. Am often depressed. We have a lot of family support but not on a regular basis. Children visit as often as they can. Please help me.


    Hi Marilyn

    My heart goes out to you – you really have drawn the shortest of straws. Firstly- I have moved your original post to this page as it is more appropriate. In answer to your question re Bethlehem Hospital – it is in Melbourne, Australia. A quick check of your email address properties tells me that you are in the USA.

    There are some excellent support groups in the USA run by wonderful people. Someone there will pick this post up in time but I am taking the liberty of forwarding your post on to a lady called Vera James whose late husband had MSA.

    Feel free to continue to post here and ask questions.


    Hi Marilyn ,
    In the case of MSA a doctor can only give you a possible or probable diagnose, a definitive is only pathologically confirmed. Seeking another opinion will also only give you these same possible or probable diagnose if they feel it is MSA.
    MSA can have the symptoms of Parkinson but has a fast progression compared to Parkinson. The swallowing and weakness can be part of the MSA symptoms. Doctor’s who treat MSA , treat it with the same medications that most Parkinson patients are treated with.
    I know it’s hard for both you and your husband to be ill and both with a PD & a PD+ type of illness, but in most cases what you are doing for your care , will also be the same for your husband.
    Watch for infections pneumonia or Bladder (UTI’s) and see that those are treated right away.
    If you haven’t joined the shy-drager yahoo group
    http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/shydrager/ . You will find that helpful and depending on where you are in the states, there are region support groups on facebook with other’s in your same area.
    As I can see you are doing a very good job in the care of your husband ,while facing an illness yourself

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.